Last night I watched 'Don't Look Up' on Netflix. To be honest, I'm not one to usually watch those 'end of the world' shows. In fact I usually avoid them at all costs, but the list of cast members had me intrigued - Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep and Australia's own Cate Blanchett to name a few.
So, I spent two hours with my daughter, watching what eventually unravelled into a sad ending for the planet (spoiler alert!)
I'm no movie critic so I'm not going to say what was good or bad about this movie. However, this move did affect me on some level and left me pondering some things afterwards.
I was moved to write down those thoughts (or life lessons) that came to me from watching this movie. I'd like to share them with you here:
1. Be willing to question the motivations of those in power - everyone has a different perspective of a situation. It's good to know where you stand in relation to their ideology.
2. Acknowledge the value of scientific peer-review and the purpose that it serves - we shouldn't take things at face value, especially from large and 'reputable' organisations. This is a big one right now. (Personally I'm thinking about the 'Metaverse'. I'm curious about the impact of virtual reality platforms and how that will take us even further away from our humanness.)
3. Hold dear those who are precious and be grateful for every day you are alive - this is something we take for granted way too often. Daily gratitude is a must.
4. Stand up for yourself and don't be blinded by the media and those that control it - we are so easily influenced by what we see and hear in the media. Consider taking a break from the news media. If you need some convincing on why this is important, I suggest you read Rolf Dobelli's book, Stop Reading The News.
5. Be grateful for this planet and treat it with utmost respect and reverence - Earth is our only home and our lifeline. As a species, we have taken this planet for granted. If you've watched or read David Attenborough's A Life on Our Planet, then you would be aware of the huge impact that humans have had. I really believe it is essential that we take stock and do all we can to reduce our impact as quickly as possible.
Have you watched Don't Look Up? What did you think?
Do you agree with my take-aways? What else came up for you? I'd love to know. Please leave a comment.